The MetroWest Regional Transit Authority (MWRTA) operates a low-cost, shared-ride system that offers door-to-door transportation for Wayland residents who are 65 or older, and for younger residents with a disability. You can use Dial-A-Ride for travel to both medical and leisure destinations. You will need to fill out a one-time registration form, and rides must be booked at least 48 hours in advance.
Questions? Here are a few answers:
What is Dial-A-Ride?
- This is a handicapped accessible, shared ride van providing curb-to-curb transportation throughout the MetroWest community. Rides may be for shopping, leisure, work, and/or medical appointments. Rides are provided on a ‘space available’ basis.
- The van runs M-F starting at 7:00 am and the last pick-up is at 6:30 pm.
Who can use the Dial-A-Ride van?
- All Wayland residents 65 years of age or older;
- Disabled residents of any age;
- Travel for any purpose;
- NOTE: To be eligible to book a ride, you must register with the MWRTA. You will need to provide proof of age or disability. You can find more information for seniors or disabled people here, or call the MWRTA at (508) 820-4650 or the Wayland COA at (508) 358-2990;
- Additional information and registration forms are also available online.
Where will the Dial-A-Ride van take me?
- Travel anywhere within these MWRTA communities for any reason; $2 each way: Ashland, Framingham, Holliston, Hopkinton, Marlboro, Natick, Sherborn, Southborough, Sudbury, Wayland, and Weston.
- Travel in the extended service area for Medical Rides Only; $3 each way: Emerson Hospital, Berlin, Dover, Hudson, Lincoln, Maynard, Medfield, Medway, Milford, Millis, Needham, Newton, Northborough, Shrewsbury, Stow, Upton, Waltham, Wellesley, Westborough.
- Boston, Worcester, Brookline, and Jamaica Plain (VA Hospital only) are $5 each way and service hours are restricted to mid-day only.
How do I pay the Dial-A-Ride?
- When you register you will establish a fare account with the MWRTA;
- Accounts are automatically debited on the day of your ride.
How do I schedule a Dial-A-Ride?
- You must make a reservation in advance. You may call for your reservation up to two weeks before, but no less than 48 business hours prior to your travel date. Ride requests are filled on a space available basis.
- Call the Dial-A-Ride Call Center at (508) 820-4650 to make your reservation. The Call Center is open Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
The MWRTA also has a fixed-route bus that serves parts of Wayland.